How can an Olympic Silver Medal be the greatest and worst moment of your life? This week on the Way of Champions Podcast, we welcome 5x Olympian and current Chair of UK Sport: Dame Katherine Grainger.
Dame Katherine is British rower and with five Olympic medals and is Great Britain’s most decorated female Olympian.We dive into many different topics during our time together, including how a karate teacher changed the course of Kathrine’s life, the best way to get athletes to love a sport or team, what it was like to be so close to a gold medal for 12 years, and the qualities of a great coach.In addition to being a 2012 Summer Olympics gold medallist, four-time Olympic silver medallist, and six-time World Champion, Dame Katherine also has an MA in Medical Law, an MA Ethics, and a Ph.D. in Criminal Law.
Highlights from the Podcast:
* The importance of teachers and coaches in a child’s life
* How a chance meeting helped Katherine find the sport of rowing
* The role of a coach in sharing a passion for sport and creating a positive experience
* Chasing the gold medal over five Olympic Games
* What it’s like to sustain enthusiasm when your main competition is only every four years
* Participating in the Olympics when you are the home team
* How Katherine’s parents supported her throughout her career
* Katherine describes her experiences with her coaches
* What are the qualities of a great coach?
* The importance of getting to know the person and the athlete
* What it’s like being the Chair of UK Sport